Volunteer for Hurricane Sandy Relief
The effects of
Hurricane Superstorm Sandy continue to be felt by residents of the Northeast. If you would like to volunteer for ongoing Hurricane Sandy relief efforts, here are some ways you can get involved:
- Volunteer through the NYC Public Advocate’s office. They will need the help of volunteers with clean-up efforts across NYC, and in the shorter term, assistance at evacuation sites.
- Volunteer through NYC Service, an NYC initiative that coordinates volunteers efforts year-round and is stepping in to help coordinate Sandy relief volunteers. You can also volunteer by sending an email including your name, email address and borough to the following address: email@example.com.
- Volunteer through the Red Cross: the organization is looking for volunteers to lend a hand in shelters throughout the Northeast. Volunteers work 12 hour shifts over multiple days.
- Volunteer through the Salvation Army: the Salvation Army is providing hydration, nourishment, emotional support and clean up kits in areas including NYC, Atlantic and Hunterdon Counties, Northeast Ohio, Maryland and West Virginia, New Hampshire and Bridgeport, Connecticut.
- Volunteer through the state in New Jersey: to volunteer, call the emergency response hotline (1-800-JERSEY-7) or send an email to Rowena.Madden@sos.state.nj.us .
- Volunteer through New York Cares: volunteers must first attend an orientation and projects include debris removal, park cleanups and the sorting of donated clothing.
- Volunteer with Food Bank For New York City: volunteers are critical to filling the gap between the needs of the community and professional emergency response teams. In particular, volunteers are needed to serve hot meals to their neighbors affected by the storm.
There are also a variety of donation opportunities including:
- Donate to the ASPCA: your donations will support the efforts of the ASPCA staff and responders as they provide on the ground support to animal victims of the storm and families affected by power outages and flooding.
- Donate to the Salvation Army: your donations will support on the ground relief efforts including the distribution of food and water, as well as emotional support and counseling. Visit their site here or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY. You can also donate by text. Just text the word STORM to 80888, and confirming the donation with the word, “Yes.”
- Donate to the Red Cross: your donations will help cover the costs of providing shelter to more than 3,000 people across 9 of the states hit by the storm. Donate by phone (1-800-733-2767) or text “REDCROSS” to the number 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- Donate to the Food Bank For New York City: Sandy, as is typical of natural disasters, is having a disproportionate effect on citizens with little or no savings. Your donation will provide them with supplies and food to last them through the emergency.